Monday 27 August 2012

History Day 27




Here's my entry for History; an alternative history which is also 92 words over but I couldn't omit anything as then it wouldn't have the impact.
Through a Child's Eyes
The crowd was growing by the second, filling every inch of the square. There was a buzz of excitement as we waited for our speaker, our leader who promised us the world and had delivered. A huge roar erupted, such was the force, my ear drums could bleed but I didn’t care as I sat on my dad’s shoulders. I was a part of history. I stared in wonder as the crowd hushed and hung on to his every word.
 ‘His speeches of empowerment, victory and pride give patriotism a new name’ said my dad. ‘He oozes charisma, motivating us all to be better people for our country.’  I wanted to be a better person, I wanted to please. Most of all I liked that my daddy was home again and smiling.  But I wasn’t sure of the man getting so excited that he shouted and stared madly into the crowd. However, I couldn’t help but get swept along with all the euphoria he created; our leader of the Fatherland and now the world, although I couldn’t stop thinking that Adolf Hitler was a pretty small man to rule the whole world.   



192


7 comments:

  1. Like I said...you can write 'hard hitting'! I was pulled right into the crowd with them, and I loved your last line, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to do a kind of what if . . . from a part of history and ended here. I had to write it from a child's pov as I felt quite uncomfortable writing it and children are so innocent; made it easier. x

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written, surprised by the 'reveal' at the end :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley. It was a little tricky though. xx

      Delete
  3. An incredibly dramatic piece, Lizzie. I love the shock twist, but yet you've captured so perfectly what thousands must have thought at the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay. Pleased to hear that. It was difficult to write once I had the idea. xx

      Delete
  4. Fabulous piece, Lizzie, with a shock twist at the end. You've described the crowd scene so well, I could almost picture myself being there and getting caught up in the fervour of it all. Brilliantly written. xx

    ReplyDelete