Friday 31 May 2013

5 Sentence Fiction Desolate (Part 2 Zoe)





Wrote this whilst sitting out in the sun today; what glorious weather at last. This is a follow up to the piece I wrote a few weeks back because some wanted more and the prompt this week seemed to fit. If you want to read the previous piece, click here Accident; 5 sentence fiction. It's only 5 sentences lol. xxx       

              
It was hard for people to understand the isolation Zoe felt; as far as they were concerned she wasn’t just living the dream, she had achieved it; a successful career in PR, beautifully tailored clothes, enough money in the bank to retire, and the perfect fiancĂ©.
She entered her party where the lavishly decorated room was filled with family, supposed friends and fake work colleagues all wishing her a happy birthday; happy was as far from the truth as the scene being played out in front of her, especially her part. 
She watched as a feeling of desolation crept over her, gnawing away at her lies and veneered truth; none of these people knew her; really knew her for the life she gave them was the life she still dreamed, could only dream.
If only they knew just yesterday she was held hostage in a grimy warehouse with a gun to her head, waiting for Death to sweep his ominous shadow over her.

If it wasn’t for her handler, Jerry, she would have been shot, dumped into a quiet part of the river to eventually wash up on a desolate river bank entangled in flotsam; she smiled at him as he approached, the only truth in her life.


For more 5SF, visit http://lilliemcferrin.com/ for more tales and takes on the prompt 'Desolate'.




16 comments:

  1. Oh I like that.. Reminds me of one of my characters who keeps her life as an assassin secret...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, nice story. I'm not sure where this one is going. But I'm pleased you like. xx

      Delete
  2. Ah, "Alias", well-sort of. Anyway, reminded me of that, only a bit darker.
    Scott
    Mine: http://kindredspirit23.wordpress.com/2013/06/01/five-sentence-fiction-53113-desolate-apocalypse-rated-pg13/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall that as a compliment :-)) I like dark! xx

      Delete
  3. Very dark and mysterious. Nicely written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does beg for more... a serial story perhaps...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A serial story sounds interesting; I haven't done that before. Something new to try! xx

      Delete
  5. I agree, I think this has so much to offer in a longer story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your comments are spurring me on to do just that. xx

      Delete
  6. Whenever I read a story like this, I always think of the poem "Richard Cory."

    Anyway, I've always liked the name Zoe - I have no idea why.

    Good job on the FSF - and yes, it could be made into a longer story. There's lots to work with here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know poetry well but will investigate. Thank you for your comment; glad you liked it and the name! xx

      Delete
  7. Very gripping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am commenting Mrs. Koch!!! Just looked for this on your page and found. Yep, you could continue as a story, chapter by chapter. She's so mysterious and puts on such a good front to keep everyone fooled as to what her real life is like. Will you write more to link with this???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping to; people seem to like it and that's always a good sign to write more!!! I'm liking Zoe already. xx

      Delete